The history of Hillside Church begins with Mount Zion Mennonite Church that began on November 16, 1889, under the shepherding of Mount Pleasant Church. The founding pastor of the work was O.B. Snyder. In the 1890’s, the first church was built on the 6th Concession, East Gwillimbury. In 1920 a shed was built on the property to provide protection for the horses.
In 1947, as a result of decisions made at the General Conference, the church changed its name to reflect the new denomination: The United Missionary Church.
In the 1970’s, growth and development were taking place in Mount Albert. The need was felt by the congregation for an evangelical work in the area. The board met with the Canada East District Board and a committee was formed. In 1978 the first church service was held in the community centre. By the end of 1978, the former church was closed and re-opened as Mount Albert Missionary Church meeting in the community centre.
On January 3, 1983, the present property was purchased and at the groundbreaking service the Missionary Church was dedicated “to the glory of God”. Evangelist Rev. Chamberland spoke at the morning service and District Superintendent Rev. E. Prosser officiated at the dedication service.
The Evangelical Church in Canada and the Missionary Church of Canada merged in 1993 to form the Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada.
At our Annual meeting on February 24, 1995 the membership approved changing our name from Mount Albert Missionary Church to Hillside Evangelical Missionary Church to reflect the new name of the denomination.
For information on our history within the context of the denomination, please view the EMCC website.
Come on In!
Sundays at 10 am
1 Don Rose Blvd.
Mount Albert, Ontario L0G 1M0